Sunday, March 6, 2016

I'm Alive!



           Sorry for the long absence! Here's a short preview from the novel-in-progress:
*****           
           “Why aren’t you at work?”
            “You ain’t nothing but a home-wrecking bitch, Hawkins. Now get out of my way before I make you.”
            Eileen sucked air through her teeth and stepped aside.
            Maura had her back turned to the counter as she dealt with the coffee maker. Scott bellied up to the counter and huffed as he banged his fists on the laminate.
            “Maura, I want to talk to you!” he cried.
            “Hold your horses, the coffee will be ready in –“Maura looked over her shoulder at him. “Oh. It’s you. Can’t it wait until I get back –“
            “No. Now.”
            The diner fell to a hush as he reached over the counter and grabbed her by the left arm. He had almost pulled her whole body over it before she managed to wriggle her way back to the other side. She slid her feet back against the wall, staring at him with wide eyes.
            “Scott…”
            “You listen to me, Maura. I’ve tried being patient. I know you’ve been trying to help your friend get her shit together, but enough’s enough. You need to come home now. You’re gonna be my wife someday. Do you honestly think I’m gonna put up with this kinda shit forever? I think it’s time you stopped playing the martyr and focused on reality for a change.”

No comments:

Post a Comment